Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Last Night I Smelled Spring

Wednesday, March 19, 2008
3 comments

Last night I smelled spring
alive once more from frozen torpor
wetness seeping through sodden ground
peepers hail at edge of earshot
woodcock twitter-peents around

swollen creeks brown frothy roaring
bearing off the earth's loose, cloddy skin
tree buds swell anticipating
yellow sun, warm kiss of wind

It was no dream this earthy scent
of soil and grass and winter death
of leaves now rotten moldering
I filled my lungs with spring's sweet breath


3 comments:

On March 19, 2008 at 8:59 PM Mary said...

I cherish the smell of Spring. I remember it from childhood. Great post.

On March 20, 2008 at 6:32 AM Jayne said...

There is no smell like it! Yesterday it was 70 degrees and I threw open the doors, closed the screens and felt the breeze as the smell floated in the room all around me.

On March 21, 2008 at 10:06 AM dguzman said...

Keep sniffing, Bill. Pull spring to us!


[BACK TO TOP]