Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Song in My Head

Wednesday, June 28, 2006
0 comments

Steady As She Goes
by The Raconteurs
from their album Broken Boy Soldiers

This song is really stuck in my head these days.

At the start of the song, the chord pattern and rhythm is somewhat reminiscent of Joe Jackson's Is She Really Going Out With Him? It's full of power pop hooks, something I find I seek out in the music I listen to in the summer. Lead singer for The Raconteurs is Jack White from The White Stripes, which lends immediate cred to this band in my book.

Give it a listen.
My favorite lines are "You've had too much to think" and "But no matter what you do, you'll always feel as though you tripped and fell." Simple, clever stuff.

The photo above is Volcan San Pedro, towering above Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. In early March, I climbed nearly to the top of this volcano, seeking the rare and elusive horned guan. The only way to make it up the mountain, huffing and puffing in the thin air, to the highland woods where the guan lived, was to have a "steady as she goes" attitude.
Otherwise, you'd never make it.

0 comments:


[BACK TO TOP]